Two In A Thousand

Julie - Brookfield, Illinois

Just as you can’t judge a book by its cover, I believe that no one can judge another person by their exterior alone. First impressions are made all too quickly and are usually not true. I believe that you should choose your friends by their personality and how compatible you are with one another, not by what they look like on the outside.

Ever since I was little, I’ve been moving all over the place because of my dad’s job. The longest I’ve stayed in one place was 6 years. Since I’ve never had the chance to settle down and make long-established friendships, I wanted to make sure that I could have that opportunity when I went to high school. One of my goals coming into such a large high school was to make different kinds of friends. Stepping out of my comfort zone and meeting new people wasn’t always easy for me, though. Coming from a small school with one class per grade, 1000 kids my age in one place was a bit overwhelming for a while. As I made my way through my freshman year, however, I started finding it easier and easier to make friends. I’d introduce myself to someone new in one of my classes who would be someone new to talk to everyday. Our seating chart in my freshman English class put me next to a girl I’d never seen before. She looked nice, but I didn’t want to decide if I wanted to be friends with her until I talked to her. We had a big project coming up and I wasn’t sure about what to do, but she had work out on her desk so I decided to ask her for help. It turns out we had a lot in common and we got to talking and wanted to hang out sometime. Erin, this random girl that I decided to talk to in my freshman English class, is now my best friend and I don’t know where I’d be without her today.

Erin isn’t the only person I decided to get to know. There was a boy named Sam on the next block who used to hang around with my neighbors from time to time. He was dressed in all black and always had on a heavy metal band shirt. At first, I was kind of intimidated by him because he didn’t look like the kind of person I usually hung around with. As time went by, I started seeing him more and more, and as the summer progressed, I decided to try to get to know him. As we soon found, him and I had more in common than anyone I’ve ever known. he is now my best friend and (no matter how cheesy it may sound) I wouldn’t trade him for the world.

Taking the time to get to know someone can be the difference between having a great friend and wondering what they’re really like a few months later.