The Power of Humor

Matthew - Lagrange, Illinois

“THIS I BELIEVE” Essay

The Power of Humor

Every morning my English teacher would share riddles and jokes with us. She would ask us, “Why couldn’t the bike stand up? It was too tyred to stand.” This and other humorous statements were welcomed by me for I enjoy when funny jokes are told because they can improve someone’s day. They may not have been the funniest jokes but I still enjoyed them because they were better than the previous events of Latin which usually included a quiz. Starting the day with a laugh can always lead to a better day. Laughing can also add as much as eight years to your life.

I believe in the power of humor. Humor is the ability of people, objects, or words to create feelings of amusement or happiness. The absence of humor would be devastating because there would be no laughing or smiling. Humor can turn a bad day where you have gotten no sleep because of a report due the next day into a good day where you can enjoy the things around you and the company of your friends. It can also put a smile on your face and allow you to change someone’s mood from cranky to cheerful and friendly with a simple joke.

Humor is also a great communication starter when talking to someone new. I think that the best type of friends to have is a humorous one because they are most likely in a good mood and they can cheer you up if you are unhappy. They are usually optimistic and will look on the better sides of things and make you feel will better.

The power of humor is spread by anyone who has ever enlivened someone who was feeling down on their luck. Comedians, who can be anyone, are the messengers of humor. Humor brings many people together and it rarely tears people apart and that is due to the improper use of humor. People who share their happiness through humor are referred to as comics. The happiness of humor follows these comedians and comics wherever they go.