I Believe In Sleepovers

Katie - LaGrange Park, Illinois

Katie F

Mrs. Gillespie

IPC Accel – Period 2

19 February 2008

The weather was bad and so were our attitudes. It was one of those days that made everyone depressed and grumpy. We had no choice but to stay inside and it was quickly getting to us, as we sat around trying to think of something fun to do.

“I’ve got it!” a friend shouted, “A sleepover!” We grabbed our phones, dialed homed, begging and pleading for approval from our parents. After much convincing and insisting that the parents wouldn’t mind all of us staying there, the sleepover had begun. First we ran to the basement to get sleeping bags, pillows, blankets, and movies, and then we set off for the store where we picked up the necessities for a good sleepover. We got ice cream, cookie dough, nail polish, and magazines. We quickly took out the nail polish as we popped in one of our favorite movies. There we laid, painting our fingers and toes high lighter pink and neon blue while quoting every line from “What about Bob?”

After the movie we sprinted to the basement arguing over who would get to sing karaoke first, and who would play Guitar Hero first. After listening to the most voice cracks one can stand, we went upstairs to eat unbearable amounts of cookie dough and ice cream. We sat around in the basement in sweats and fuzzy socks while playing “MadLibs” and reading the “Most Embarrassing Moments,” from the newest magazines. After reading all of the “Sure to gross you out!” articles we could handle, we put away the magazines, and the empty bowls and spread out our blankets and pillows and got ready for another classic movie. As we all took turns quoting our second movie, I lie there thinking of how we were all grumpy earlier and how all we wanted to do was lay around and do nothing. Now look at us, quoting every line a movie we’ve seen at least a million times, and singing songs we were obsessed with when we were little.

The uncountable inside jokes, the embarrassing pictures, the dorky dances to our old favorite songs, the quoting every line to stupid movies we’ve seen a million times, the neon nail polishes, the jokes so stupid you could not help but laugh at, and the memories we will never forget. This I believe, in sleepovers that make you feel like you are six, when you are actually turning 16.