Lack of Grace

Elizabeth - Western Springs, Illinois

It was winter with all the usual characteristics of winter. Cold, windy, ice coding the streets. Eventually, I was about ready to lose my mind with hay fever and cry if I did not see the sun that I used to complain about. So, to entertain myself, I decided it would be a good idea to paint my nails.

I am painting away with my usual carelessness. Nothing out of the ordinary. Then due to my lack of coordination, I knock over a bottle of nail polish remover on the edge of the rug, where it decides to seep onto the wood floor right next to it. After my haste to clean it up, I manage to salvage the rug. However, I ended up with two rough patches on the wood that once had finish coding them. I decided to move the rug over a few extra inches.

And then there was the time it seemed like I was unable to walk. When I was just walking away in my house, I stumble. But it was one of those stumbles, where I lost my balance, almost fell over, and dropped what I was carrying just because I had a lazy foot that did not take an actual step. I did that on the way back from my destination, too.

On the same day, I was dancing to the music in my head at a friend’s house. As soon as I step of the carpet and onto the wood floor, I slide right through the doorway of her kitchen, kicking a China cabinet on the way, where I ended up on my stomach and bruised both knees. While I examine the injuries, the door frames falls forward to where I am sitting and lands on my head. Nothing was broken that day.

I believe in being unintentionally clumsy. If someone was always perfect and never fell, than they would just be boring. With a little less organization in my life, I laugh more often, and I have the best stories when people ask me where I received my unusual scares. Life is so much more interesting knowing that I can muster all the pose in the world but still manage to fall flat on my face. And it does not hurt to see other people like me take their falls. The world is much more entertaining seeing people make mistakes that for once are not life threatening.