Patience is a virtue

Ryan - El Cajon, California

They’re too many tedious, and nagging things in this world to not have patience. I believe patience is one of the most important things a person can have. I personally have horrible patience. However I have improved quite a bit with the birth of my baby sister. My sister is five years old now and continues to test my patience daily. She loves to take things from my room, make me get her food, take control of the TV, and a lot of other things that a five year old shouldn’t be doing. I have to have the patience to deal with her.

I have always had a real short fuse when it comes to patience, and I think its because I believe that somebody shouldn’t be wasting time trying to do something if they don’t know what they’re doing. For example I don’t like when my sister breaks a toy and is crying, and my dad tries to help her fix it but doesn’t know how. This is where I loose patience watching him try, and I usually take the toy and fix it myself. That is one example of how I have little patience for situations involving my youngest sister.

My youngest sister savannah was one of the best things that happened in my life, not just because she has helped me tremendously with gaining more patience but also because she brings so much joy to my life every day. When she was born I had no idea what it was like to have a baby around. Our whole lives changed. We couldn’t get a big dog, we couldn’t go on vacations for a while, we had to lock everything up, we had to be extra careful of getting her sick, and we forfeited sleep for a while. She would wake up in the middle of the night as a newborn crying her head off. Now we have a pretty big house but it was no match for her cries. They pierced the walls like it was nothing. I would sit in my bed at night awake because she couldn’t stop crying, and I wanted to run in there and scream, “why can’t you sleep!” but after a few weeks of this I learned to have patience with her crying and realize she is too young to control her cries and is only trying to tell us she needs something.

I believe patience is important not only for having young siblings but for many things in life. Your patience is tested every day even if you don’t realize it. Your patience is tested whether it be by waiting in class for the bell to ring, dealing with dumb people at work, or even sitting at a red light for five minutes. All those things are testing our patience. We just can’t let the little things get to you or you will be one miserable person in life. You sitting their yelling at the light and fidgeting in your car isn’t going make that light change faster. Its not Alive, it cant hear you. So what you need is a little more patience to just sit and wait, and eventually that light will turn green.

If you have good patience you will be a happier person. When you’re getting mad and loosing your patience just take a minute to sit back and ask yourself, “ is this really worth getting angry over?” and most of the time the answer is no. Strong patience is an awesome tool to have.