To Live

Anastasia - Walnut Creek, California
Themes: carpe diem

To Live

A year ago, I would wake up, lie in bed and think about every little thing I would have to do that day. Unfinished homework, projects and chores would run through my mind. Without even realizing it, I would focus on the tasks that I would have to complete that day and would already overwhelm myself for the day. I realized that this was a not a good way to start out my day. Now, when I wake up every morning, I don’t worry or think about anything The only thing on my mind is how nice it is not to be up early.

I believe in living every moment to its fullest. To me, people who are always thinking about being or doing something else are wasting their and everyone else’s time. If you are somewhere, then be there. What is the point of going to a concert if you spend the time talking to your friend on the phone? Instead, savor this moment and live it out to its fullest and then focus on other things.

I believe in doing what I want when I want it. I used to have to listen to a song completely before I would switch it to that other song that’s been running through my head over and over again. Something about this seems wrong to me. If I really want something, like listening to that one song, then why don’t I just switch the song?

I believe that life is too short to just sit around and let it fly by. I believe in seizing opportunities and trying as many things as possible since there is an endless list. Skydiving, zip lining, bungee jumping, trying Indian food, visiting South America, getting my fortune read. I want to say that I’ve done all those things by the time I’m 80 and then try some more.

I also believe in change. For better or for worse, change is the one thing that keeps me on my toes and away from ending up doing the same things very day for the rest of my life. I think that people really benefit from things around them changing every day. Change does not always have to mean turning your world upside down and moving to a small island off the coast of Greece. Change can be consisting of things like uploading random music to your ipod, trying and new sport or even watching a musical. These things may not seem like they would change you or your life at all, but I find myself constantly surprised at how much these small changes mean to me.

To sum it all up, I just believe in living. Not living by just being there and letting things around you happen. I believe in really living: taking control, being free, not over thinking, not wasting time. I believe in having a life that I choose for myself. A life with many experiences and lots of change. I want to know exactly what the saying “life is too short” means but also to acknowledge that I fought it as best as I could, with my heart fully in it.