Hard Work

Carl - Walnut Creek, California
Themes: work

Hard Work

After the state meet on the varsity cross country team I wondered how I got there. I sure didn’t slack off. I put in the miles at practice six days a week and not only ran them but sought to find ways to get better. I worked hard at it. You aren’t going to be good at something if you don’t put hard work into it.

Running is only one part of what I believe I have to work hard at. School is just as important, if not more important, than running. I study for all my tests and studying definitely paid off for my geometry final, which I aced. Colleges don’t just look at your sports and say “hey come on in.” They look for people who are devoted to their studies, sports, and the community. This is why are I do good work in school. To lag behind in school is a road to failure for the rest of your life. I wouldn’t want to be on the streets, begging for money and food for the rest of my life.

You should only work hard at something if it is important to you and your success. Why put all the pain and effort on unimportant things when you can instead use it on the things that matter to you. It would be bad to spend hard earned money on unimportant stuff, like drugs, when if you had a job you could be making money for things like college or maybe a new bike. My coach has told our team that he would take a devoted runner, willing to put in the work, over a talented runner with little devotion to what he does. Eventually, the more devoted runner will overtake the runner with the natural talent.

To work hard early I life will train you for the future. As you get older it turns out to be less fun and games than you expected it to be and may catch you by surprise. But you can adapt because you are already used to doing your best. Without hard work I would have never made it to the state meet on varsity.