Love Big

Julie - North Andover, Massachusetts

I believe in loving extravagantly. Life is not just about living and getting through each day. It’s about making every day special. Loving extravagantly doesn’t mean giving and receiving expensive gifts. It simply means to show your love towards those you care about over and over in little ways.

One day when I went to get into my car before school, I found a bottle of water sitting on my car seat. I didn’t really think anything of it, I was just happy there was one there because I couldn’t find any in the refrigerator that day. The next day, the same thing happened. As the days followed I continued to find water sitting there waiting for me. This went on for a few more days before I finally realized that it was my mom who was putting them in my car. It’s the little things in life, like just putting a water on my car seat, that make me smile. It’s so effortless, yet it meant so much. That’s loving extravagantly.

Sometimes the largest forms of affection take the humblest gestures. Life is about the little things. The greatest gifts I’ve ever received are the ones that don’t cost a fortune. I love walking into my room and finding my bed made for me or having my favorite meal for dinner, just because my mom thought it would be nice. In high school my mother would put a note in my lunch and they would always put a smile on my face. She does so many things for me that it makes me want to love others extravagantly. There’s no one reason she did these things, she does them just because. That is why I believe in loving extravagantly.

Loving extravagantly is showing love without counting costs, a kind deed for someone just because. Life is about doing small things and expecting nothing in return. Sometimes a grand gesture is needed, but the rest of the time, it’s the little things repeated over and over that make us feel cared for. Just picking up the phone to tell someone you love them, touches their heart and makes them feel loved. In life we have so many chances to show love towards the ones we care about, so why not do so extravagantly.