Mary Jane

Kyle - Livonia, Michigan

The Center for Disease Control reported that, Alcohol killed 21,081 people in 2004, excluding accidents and homicides. The CDC also reported that over 400,000 people die each year from tobacco use. Marijuana killed 0 people.

Pot (marijuana) is the dried flower clusters and leaves of the hemp plant when taken can induce euphoria or relaxation. Personally, I think it just allows anyone to have a fun well being bored. Marijuana has been in existence for centuries even Magellan spoke of it during his trip to India. In his log he spoke of a plant that you smoked that made a man drunk without drinking. I believe this simple plant holds a tremendous negative weight on our society, a weight they we could lift through legalization.

The truth is the money we spend and the crime created by our government’s war on marijuana is just not worth the effort. It’s not worth it, because drug dealers, suppliers, growers, and organized crime syndicates fight back. This war has created added value to the drug do to the risk involved in its production and distribution. This risk makes the marijuana business incredibly profitable for those willing to take the risk. If Americans could buy pot legally, it would be cheaper for the consumer and over time it would eliminate organized crime in marijuana sales, much like the end of prohibition ended the careers of the 1920’s most famous gangsters. If marijuana were taxed like alcohol and tobacco, we could use the drug to raise money for worthwhile government expenditures. Millions of our tax dollars fund daily DEA, TNT, and FBI raids each day. Pot has been proven to be less addictive than caffeine, or sugar. It has medical uses, the possibilities of which drug companies are not currently allowed to explore.

The most popular argument I hear against pot is that it is a “gateway” drug. In Holland with the legalization of marijuana the use of hardcore drugs has shown to decrease. If marijuana were a gateway drug and it were legalized then the only thing that could logically happen would be that the use of hardcore drugs (cocaine, heroin) would have increased. Yet the opposite happened the harder drugs declined while marijuana did increase it took the place of these drugs.

Aside from mountain of facts, one core value keeps skirting across my brain. As Americans, we pride ourselves on the freedom of choice. Individuals should be given the right choose whether or not to smoke marijuana. We’re given the choice of eating fattening fast food or fruit. We can choose to go to college or go into the workforce. It is un-American to have our choices made for us. The only choices we are barred from making are ones which cause harm to others. If legalized, Marijuana would in no way causes harm to others. In fact, it may greatly benefit our society.