Could you live with World Peace?

Julieanne - TQ1 2LQ, United Kingdom
Themes: peace, question

I believe a harsh reality we may have to be prepared to accept is that we may actually never survive if we lived in world peace. Unfortunately I see, that in a state of world peace, economies would become in danger of collapsing, and we could be subjected to unemployment on an enormous scale.

The reality is, many of our professions are based on conflict resolution. If we found ourselves living in world peace; where would that leave the masses working in these professions? For example, if we were to find our streets crime free we would have no need for a police force. If we found ourselves living with no war, we would have no need for an army. The police force and army are there in a sense to enforce a happy medium, for different ideas of peace. Of course there are exceptions, but without some sort of difference of opinion we would find a lot of us out of work. And with no work, there would only be substandard living. There are families whose livelihoods rely on the absence of world peace.

I consider it impossible to live with world peace as peoples definitions of peace will always differ. Cultural and class issues are ingrained into us from a small age. And if we removed the passion of religion, there would be no such thing as faith, which for some people is the fundamental reason for waking in the morning. For instance, the followers of traditionalist religion would find it very difficult to be comfortable in the lifestyle of a New Age spiritualist movement. And our cultural differences are what drive us to take that exotic holiday, or explore different lifestyles.

I do however believe it is possible for us to live in a state of world tolerance. Tolerance of our religious and cultural differences. However from an economic and survival point of view….Could you really cope with world peace?