Daniel - Alvaton, Kentucky
Themes: hope

I believe in HOPE in spite of the illumination of fear. Born and raised in a developing country Ghana in 1975, a time when political and economic instability erased any iota of hope. As a child I remember on one Saturday afternoon in 1983, when a group of men wearing military uniform with ammunitions came to my house and aggressively took away some money while my father was sick. My mother later told us that, somebody alleged that my father has sold him vehicles above government set controlled price so they came for the money but never returned the cars. I witnessed the family business gradually collapsing and the government seizing the family imports. When all was lost, the only thing left was hope. The kind of hope which inspired my mother to sell her personal belongings, like clothes and jewelry to take care of us, and one which motivated my father a high school graduate to reach out to politicians and educators to make sure we get equal opportunities like the privileged in the society.

Today, the news portrays a grim picture of the world and its future: credit market crunch, skyrocketing foreclosures, high fuel cost and plunging stock market to mention but few. There are predictions of natural disasters in unprecedented scales, tsunamis, earthquakes, wildfires, hurricanes and the unpopular threats of global warming, diseases and nuclear warfare. The result is the manifestation of deep fear in mankind.

State governments are faced with budget cuts, social programs are struggling to meet their operational cost in spite of the growing rate of poverty, discrimination, crimes and injustices in our neighborhoods, churches and schools. At times, I question why I chose a career as a social work? The only reason I find is that, I believe in hope as the solution not fear. Hope is what I have therefore what I can offer to others. My experience is hope and it has worked for me. I strongly believe that all human beings have potentials and we should hope to reach it. I also believe that, the world cannot afford the opposite of hope. I believe that many share this believe. I believe there are agencies who will continue to open their doors when all their funds run out. There are many social workers, teacher, lawyers, doctors, etc who will volunteer their services to make a difference. There are many who will just refuse to give up.

I refuse to give up because my life is hope. I believe in HOPE