barbara - west palm beach, Florida

It’s said that your strength is tested when you fail because recovering from it is the hardest thing to do. However, when the individual pulls through from their fall, they are categorized as a strong character.

I believe in perseverance.

This simple yet complex word indicates a great deal of inner strength and intelligence, something that today’s society lacks.

About six years ago, I was forced to move to the United States because of political issues that Venezuela was facing. The nation was being controlled by a new government that threatened the population with communism. Born and raised there, I had no intention to move from my comfortable life. The school I attended was rank number three in the state, and the number one bilingual elementary in Valencia. My house was located in one of the richest neighborhoods in the city, not to mention the fact that I had a personal maid who did everything for me. We can easily say my life was the fantasy of many.

Entering the adolescent stage, I had no idea the problems that my parents were dealing with.

One day I was informed of my departure to my new life in the dream land, America.

My first six months were miserable and desolated, due to the language barrier that tests every immigrants desire to succeed.

It was now required that I clean my own room, that I washed my own dishes, that I make my own bed.

I have to admit that the first stage in my new life threw me to the floor and defeated me, but once I realized that the “Live in America” opportunity was given to me, I decided to take it as a challenge.

My first and foremost biggest problem was English, especially my impossible to understand accent. The regret of not taking advantage of the education offered in my elementary school hit me in the head. Nevertheless, I was determined to become bilingual no matter what.

I commenced to watch TV shows, listening to the radio and reading only in English.

After a period of eight months, I was transferred out of ESOL (English to Speakers of Other Languages) into regular classes.

My perseverance of becoming a more intellectual person won me my “Top 10% in School” trophy that I treasure for days that I need to be reminded of my hard work and long journey.

Now, I attend Dreyfoos School of the Arts High School where I’ll be graduating in May with a 3.1 GPA and with five Advance Placement classes completed.

My strength was put to the test by coming to a new country and though it was extremely difficult, I overcome a language.

I believe in perseverance.