Katy - Chicago, Illinois

This I believe, that the world had far too many cynics. Even I am a cynic, everything I see and read is met with skepticism; which let me be clear, a little skepticism goes a long way, but too much is far from healthy. A little skepticism is what prevents you from falling for those dumb “Gullible isn’t a real word…” jokes, but too much and you’ll end up seeing the end of the world in everything going on around you, inhibiting you decisions and keeping you from really living.

I’m not going to lie, that if one picks up a newspaper, it’s hard to deny the sad state of affairs our world is in. But for once I’m starting to realize that cynicism doesn’t do anything to help it, that instead, being optimistic, and believing that things can and will change, that is the only way to get things done. We need to put aside the criticism and prepare to bear the brunt of this mess our parents have laid out for us inherit. It seems at times to be easier to just sit back and say “so what, there’s nothing that I can do.” This is the sort of attitude has become a plague, earning us the title of “America’s most apathetic generation” but really what we are is “America’s most terrified generation”. This I believe, that we can overcome tumultuous issues; its scary, the hand we’ve been dealt, a war where we don’t know what we’re fighting anymore, an economy that’s like a ticking time bomb, issues of Israel and Palestine, North Korea and nuclear warfare, and everywhere we look, the world is becoming more and more violent and we’re the ones that need to find a solution.

What we need to do right now is not to condemn others, but to love them, to embrace them and to care enough about them that we want to better the world not only for ourselves but for them. This won’t be achieved by dissidents and pessimists who shrug it off. “We’ll all die anyway,” they say, “Who cares if it’s because of a nuclear warhead or because there’s no Medicaid to pay for some disease I may not even have?” But really the saddest thing is that no one is willing to change things because if they aren’t a cynic, you can be sure they listen to them on the T.V. telling them, broadcasting that we as American have failed and that there is nothing to be done. This I don’t believe, and this I refuse to believe, because where there is a will there’s a way and there are people out there who have the willpower, so now its time to find change, and abandoning my previous bouts of cynicism, I believe that we can and we will.