Jeffrey - West Caldwell, New Jersey

I believe that friends are one of the most powerful tools we have as humans. One of the greatest gifts you can give to a person is your loyalty and friendship. Friends make the great times even better. They hold the power to make you laugh at any time. Most importantly however, friends get you through the toughest times in your life. Even though it seems simple and not that big of a deal a little smile can go a long way.

Throughout high school I was gifted with a great group of friends, although I never realized how great they really were at the time. Unfortunately it took a horrible situation for me to realize what I had in my life. Shortly after we all went our own separate ways and departed for college my friend Dan’s younger brother passed away suddenly without warning. My friends and I, all without hesitation, came home from school when they heard the bad news. When I walked into the wake with my friends that evening and saw Dan for the first time a smile broke out onto his face and you could see a tear run down his face. I will never forget Dan’s face that night when I arrived. Right then I realized just how much a friend can do when you are in a time of need and how great my friends are that they rallied to come together for Dan. Just our mere presence had a profound effect on him.

Since that day I have been living my life being grateful for my friends and their friendship. I try to live my everyday life helping friends and being there for them. Likewise I have found they will always be there for me. One way I try to live my life according to this belief is through my grandmother, who suffers from Alzheimer’s disease. When she talks about her past, every story always involves one friend or another, with a side note of how great they were to her. When I get the chance I frequently ask her to tell me stories of her past and her friends because now with her worsening condition she is constantly frustrated and depressed. Telling me these stories and talking about her friends can always put a smile on her face no matter what.

I believe that friends are the most powerful thing in the world and can completely change how we view ourselves, our situation and the future. I try to treat my friends as best as I can because they have and always will be there for me no matter how hard times may get. I believe in times of need your friends will be there for you and get you through those tough times.