Making Use of Wasted Time

Emily - West Chester, Pennsylvania

Procrastination is defined as being habitual, and I admit it, I am a lifelong procrastinator. There have been instances when I have attempted to finish assignments ahead of schedule, and I have, in fact, felt a great sense of relief and freedom on completion. But I found that this satisfaction is not enough to change my mind, which is permanently set on putting things off until no longer possible. “Why do it now, when you could do it later?” So, I have come to realize that without due dates I would never be able to get anything done. On Sunday afternoons the world is my oyster, when I am faced with an endless list of assignments, I am most inspired to try new things, start new projects… or clean the house.

In my procrastination, I can comfort myself, in knowing that when avoiding an assignment I am never fully able to ignore it one hundred percent, there is always a trace of reason reminding me of what will have to be done later. When doing laundry, or other tedious tasks, I concentrate not on the job at hand, but begin to think out problems in my head, giving my mind a chance to digest what will have to be done later. Most of the time I am able to accomplish a sizable amount during the time when I should have been doing my homework. It is in this time that I am truly most productive. I willingly wash dishes, vacuum, clean my room, do most anything that serves as an excuse not to do what is required of me.

There are those days, when in a lethargic slump, I find myself doing nothing valuable to pass my time. This is when I begin to doubt whether procrastination is worthwhile. I know that whatever I do is only postponing the inevitable. And this is why I believe in productive procrastination. Putting something off until the last minute can only be validated if there is actually something tangible accomplished in between.

Procrastination is in my nature. It is a bad habit that I have accepted, and improved upon. I will always get my work done, eventually. And I almost always turn things in on time, but I know that in the time I spend avoiding assignments, I am able to accomplish just as much, if not more, than if I had finished ahead of schedule.