Frederick - Los Angeles, California

I believe in Miracles. I believe that there are some things that can happen that defy rational, scientific thinking and that can only be described as miraculous. I know this because it happened to me.

I was working with a cardiac team in three hospitals in the Los Angeles area. I had been doing this for twenty-eight years. I went into this field probably as a result of my father dying after his third heart attack. This had a profound effect on me as I was only ten years old. As a result I watched my diet, did not smoke and exercised. I desperately wanted to grow old with my wife and two children. Despite the rigors of my profession, I felt that I was taking all necessary steps for my continued good health. All of that drastically changed on a November day which coincidentally was my wife’s birthday. I first felt shortness of breath and I sat down for awhile, and the symptoms disappeared. I went home. Suddenly the symptoms returned. My wife took me to the local hospital and while getting out of the car to ask for directions during their remodelization, my heart stopped. My daughter screamed for help. My wife started cardiac resuscitation, before being helped by the medical staff. They could not get my heart started for more than forty minutes. The brain cannot go without oxygen for more than three minutes and my heart had been stopped for forty. My frantic wife called everyone, friends, family and our local church. A prayer vigil was immediately started. Members of our church came to the hospital and as a group, outside the intensive care room, fervently prayed for me. The cardiologist told my wife that the next hour was critical, while my physician colleagues were calling each other saying I wouldn’t make it through the night. I was barely alive and I was in a coma. I made it the next hour and the next day but I was still in a coma. The community prayer vigil continued. On the fourth day, in the afternoon, my wife asked me if I was still her “honey bunny” and I was able to nod my head, “yes”. I had come out of my coma. The medical staff was incredulous. As I recovered, all the medical staff that helped in my care in the ER and the heart catheterization laboratory would make daily visits into my hospital room to see the “Miracle Man”. I was a model for the interns and residents and looked forward to their daily visits of astonishment. Fifty percent of my heart function was lost. I was immediately placed on maximum medical therapy. I am on permanent medical disability but I am alive. I am alive today because of the efforts of my wife, the medical staff at Huntington Hospital in Pasadena and the answered prayers of the many who prayed so long and so fervently. Yes I believe in miracles because I am one.