Bee - Brownsburg, Indiana
Age Group: 65+

An Alternative to Video Games

One summer day I was thinking about what I could do with two of my three grandsons. As a child of the ’40’s I used to enjoy hunting crawdads with my grandfather. I questioned myself, “Are the boys 10 and 6 too sophisticated to do this?” I just didn’t know but it was worth a try. “They didn’t hesitate to accept my idea. They even asked, “Can we bring two of our friends?”

Wfe planned our outing for an extremely hot day. The was the best time to go because we wouldn’t get cold as quickly in the water. I suggested we all wear boots because I didn’t want anyone cutting their feet. We scrounged up a couple of fishing nets and some buckets. Off we went in search of adventure.

We had to find somewhere that I could get into the water easily. At age 65, I had to think about such things. Our local park provided the ideal location. I told the boys the best way to catch crawdads was to stand still and just watch. They would see them darting around. Sure enough I started hearing, “I see one. I see one two.” We stayed for about an hour and a half and had quite a few crawdads to show for our efforts. All the way home I heard stories about the size of the crawdads that got away I also heard , “That was the best.” Can we go back tomorrow.

Big boxes can also provide hours of entertainment for children. Letting the boys pay in the rain and jumping in as many puddles as they like gets rid of a lot of excess energ. Playin tic tack toe, go fish, and old maid do not need to be played on a computer.

I have never been in favorof children watching a lot of TV or playing video games. I believe I have proved that children can be active, and have a lot of fun with the type of activities I provide for them to do. None of these activities need electricity or batteries.