A Test of Faith

Dana - San Antonio, Texas

Everything happens for a reason. I believe that God prepares us for everything we must go through to become better people. Although certain obstacles may seem more difficult than others, we must trust in God for He knows what He’s doing.

Last June 2007, my family’s faith was once again put to the test. Mom’s breast cancer, much less severe than grandma’s cancer, was our first battle–now grandma’s cancer, mesothelioma , is our second. This time it is different. This second battle means repeating last year. It has been difficult, but the mental strength, unity, and knowledge my family gained from moms experience has prepared us for the worst.

“She has at the most…a year to live,” Mom said looking away, avoiding the dozens of eyes on her. I sat quietly shuffling my feet in the old recliner of the hospital room. “This can’t be happening again-not another cancer,” I thought. I looked up lifting my eyes towards grandma’s hospital bed. “How could she have cancer? Mom just finished treatment last month.”

Mom continued to talk among our relatives, attempting to explain exactly what was happening to grandma. “It’s too late. Stage four is highly severe,” she said, ” There’s only so much doctors can do…” As her voice grew faint, my entire reality seemed to be put on pause.

If Mom had not been diagnosed with breast cancer in November 2006, my family and I would not be as strong as we are today. There is a reason why God put mom through her battle first. He gave us one hard lesson before the true test of our faith.

Over the months throughout mom’s treatment, I had a hard time adjusting to the possibility that everything would get better, easier to deal with. Now, I feel as if though I should be telling myself, “You see, He knew what He was doing.”

I believe everything happens for a reason. I believe that God knew that my family wasn’t as close as we should have been before mom’s cancer. He knew that we needed something, anything, to make us realize how much we truly needed each other. And lastly, He knew that there had to be one final battle, before we could truly face the war.