Aalok - Chicago, Illinois

In Order to Succeed, One Must Learn From His/Her Failures

One of the fundamental beliefs that I hold is that in order to succeed, I must learn from my failures. I’m not saying that it is impossible to succeed at something right from the beginning, but if I fail the first time and constantly fail every time afterwards, I have to look at my failures and analyze them to see what I’m doing wrong and how to correct it.

My belief originates from when I was eight years old and learning to rollerblade. I had always been fascinated by the concept of rollerblading. I would see the children playing street hockey outside my house and I would be so envious of them, wanting to join them and befriend them. I told my mother that I wanted to rollerblade also. She agreed, but told me that I would have to learn to skate by myself. I was fine with that; all I wanted to do was skate.

When I got my skates, I started to practice in my yard learning soon that I could not stay balanced or move around. I tried a couple of times to stay standing but kept failing. After this, I went inside the house and told my mom that there was no way that I was going to succeed at this and that we should just throw away the skates. She gave me a motherly smile and told me that the reason that I was not succeeding was because I was not learning from my failures. I kept on doing the same things wrong each time I tried. She told me that after I failed, I should examine what I did wrong and fix that aspect of my technique and try again. I would have to repeat this until I had fixed all the problems with my technique. She said that this was the only way I would succeed. She was right; after using this method, I was able to skate perfectly in no time.