Nikole - Happy Valley, Oregon

I believe that families hold the best of intentions, but with this they also occasionally end up doing the most harm. We discover this quite by surprise while spending hundreds of dollars sitting in some comfy chair across from some noteworthy person an hour a week, sometimes more, sometimes less. I grew up in such a family as I am sure most of you have. We are not perfect beings, although we all somehow strive to be and tend to fault that which is not. That goes for us who look back on our imperfect families as well. What is “perfect” at any rate? An individual unachievable ambition at best.

My family’s attempts were to instill in me such things as intelligence, success, material wealth, and stability, frowning upon moments of failure, finding even more failure within any success. But they meant well, and did it out of love. I grew up with the conflict of “You can achieve anything.” along side of “You can’t do that.” which is how I defined myself for many years. That is, until I had met my husband.

“I believe in you.” were his words to me.

I believe in you? What a profound concept, what powerful words. Words that I could not face, and would turn my head not meeting his eye.

“Uh huh.” my simple reply. This went against everything that I knew to be as true. The words were shocking. Even provocative.

“I believe in you.”

Words that were repeated to me over the years. His affirmations slowly unraveled the layers of doubt and uncertain along with the insecurities and fears. Peeling back the layers of time. Ragged and raw. Words that over this span of repeating slowly became known as truth. A gradual healing occurred and began to overshadow the past. Words spoken again and again that increasingly became my own.

“I believe in you. I believe in you. I believe in me.” whispered into the mirror.

It has been said that it only takes one person to believe in you, and with this I say these words to every one of you.

“I believe in you.”

I believe in your dreams, your aspirations, and your desires. If I had the great opportunity to meet with you, I would sit across from you, holding your hands tight in my own, looking deep into your eyes and say “YES! I BELIEVE!” Because I truly trust that there are worlds to be discovered, dreams to be had, goals to be achieved within us all. Nothing is too large or too small. We are all creative beings here to experience fully our true selves, filled with potential, yet lying stagnant wrapped in our own false beliefs and fears… waiting… for someone, one person to believe. Something so simple, yet significant and filled with wonder. You.

This I believe.