Thomas - Loomis, California
Themes: work

Work Ethic – a belief in the moral benefit and importance of work and its inherent ability to strengthen character ( I believe in a strong, good work ethic. My work ethic has benefited me as well as built my character.

I apply myself with my work ethic to a lot of things, but one of my best examples is running. I started in seventh grade, going out for my elementary school cross-country team to condition for basketball. I don’t know what sparked me to go out, but I’m glad I did. I didn’t hate running, but I definitely wasn’t fast. I had horrible form, I was dead after practices, and I almost quite. My coach, Mr. Peter Muth, saw potential in me because of my work ethic I demonstrated in the classroom as well as at practices. He wouldn’t let me quite, so I kept running. I improved my form, built overall running strength, vastly improved my times, and I started to like running. I understood why people loved to run, and this was from my work ethic.

I don’t believe that I should be the one judging the world, but I have seen a lack of work ethic in the people who live in this world today. People don’t want to lift a finger during any given hour. It could be because of the exponential growth of technology, societies lowered standards, and/or multitude of other factors. I believe that the world would be a better place if people improved their work ethic. Motivation does play into how hard a person works at any particular goal, job, and opportunity, but I believe that not being motivated shouldn’t keep people from working hard. If people worked harder at what they wanted to do, or if they are willing to increase the effort and effectiveness in their current attempt to accomplish a certain aspiration, the morale of our world would make huge strides, and provide a friendlier environment in most places on earth.

I ended the season thinking about the upcoming track season after I finished basketball. My eighth grade year, I was being looked up to as a runner for my great form, speed, and work ethic. My coach told me that my story inspired some of his runners, and that made me feel even better. I also had developed a love for running. It is my temporary escape from responsibilities, my relaxing pill, a place to think, a place to be with friends, a way to compete and better myself. I love to run fast times, workout to earn those faster times, and improve to my best, and then break that roof of limitation. Running has benefited me even more by showing me how my work ethic has given me something great in my life, and it could happen again if I maximize it in anything else I attempt. My good character has grown from this experience, and it has been easier to build since. But, my former coach always says, “You can never have too much character.”