Olivia - Loomis, California

The More the Merrier

I believe in having more than one best friend.

“It’s important to have friends who care. The “Peanuts” gang was made up of individual characters, each with their own foibles and talents, but through it all they were always there for each other.” This quote by Jim Allen from Charlie Brown says so much with just a few words. Everyone needs someone who they can trust and talk to them about anything. They need someone who is always there for them when they need them. They also need someone who will never judge them, and like them for who they are and not for what they have. They need someone who knows them better than they know themselves.

When my cousin was born I knew that she would be my best friend. I knew that we would never be separated. Since I was a year older than her we were like sisters. We fought like sisters but we also forgave each other like sisters. She had my back and I had her back when we were in trouble. If she cried I cried, if I laughed she laughed. We lived right next door so everyday we would spend time together. As we grew older, time went by and I moved away. She went to her school and I went to mine. Once we started high school I started making friends who I could trust and talk to them about anything. I started to realize that they would be around for quite a while just like my cousin.

Then I started thinking about Navy, my cousin, and how she would feel about my other friends. I thought to myself, “Why can’t I have more than one best friend?” Why do people say that they have a best friend? I’m proud to say that, “I have more than one best friend.” When people have more than one best friend it works better for them because they will have more than one person to talk to, and more than one person they can turn to when they need them. When I think of this, I think about Navy and all my best friends that I have. I’m thankful for all the friends I’m blessed with. I believe that friends come and go, but best friends stay with you forever.