Colin - Loomis, California

I believe in determination and the value of finding something that I want and going after it. In my lifetime I have found that when I have a goal in mind for myself there is not always an easy path to attaining that goal, but with determination anything is possible.

George Allen said, “People of mediocre ability sometimes achieve outstanding success because they don’t know when to quit. Most men succeed because they are determined to.” I feel like this quote really applies to me. When I was a freshman I came to Del Oro High School two days before schools started to try out for the soccer team. I went through the whole week expecting to make the team and when Friday rolled around and I didn’t make the team I was quite surprised. It turns out I wasn’t as good as I thought I was. However, I was determined to make the team the next year, so for the entire year I trained hard and worked out to get ready for the next season. When the next season finally rolled around I went to tryouts and made the team. I was able to start the entire year, not because I was really talented but because I worked hard and I was determined to make myself a better player.

I owe my hard work ethic to my parents. Whenever I do something and fail they never just say that I tried my best, and there was nothing else I could do. Instead they encouraged me by telling me that if I work harder they know I can achieve anything. This sort of attitude is extremely valuable in life. In school I am always determined to do my assignments to the best of my ability, and in sports I am always trying to get just a little bit better every time I play.

A big problem with the world is everybody’s lack of goals. Everyone is just going through life expecting things to happen to them, but in reality they must be determined to do what needs to be done in order to get what they want. If everyone in the world strived to do this, the world would be a better place.

I believe in determination. I believe in taking myself to the edge of my ability and then pushing myself just a little bit further. This, I believe.