Emily - Loomis, California

I believe in laughter.

I believe that laughter is the best medicine; it makes friends, and is a universal unspoken language. It cures bad days and throws out old disputes. The blues fall away and frowns turn into smiles. No matter how well I know someone, sharing a joke or funny moment with them creates an instant friendship and feeling of happiness. Inside jokes are the best for this. A look across the room, and eyebrow raise, a wink, can send two friends into fits of laughter about what no one else knows, but everyone understands.

The world understands laughing. A joke shared between two people, no matter race, gender, religion, brings them closer together and creates a small, though sometimes barely visible bond. The world needs more laughter. With so many serious and strenuous events occurring daily, it is easy for everyone to get lost in the hustle and bustle and forget about joy and fun. One good laugh could lift the spirit of the nation, the world.

No matter how it is started: by a joke, a clumsy moment, happiness, in the end, everyone feels better. When my cat, Storm, died, I was crying so hard I was shaking. I’d had him since I was 8 and he meant a lot to me. As soon as my friend Kristin heard about what happened, she started acting goofy and trying to make me feel better. Once I started laughing, I couldn’t stop. Even though I was still sad, laughing made me feel better.

In all the seriousness of the world today, laughter is hard to come by. People are so busy rushing and hurrying that they forget the simple things that make life great. Every day, I try to take my day once step at a time; trying to enjoy every minute and trying not to forget the things that make life worth living: live, love, laugh.