Jane - Bloomfield, Kentucky

I believe in the power of words. Words can let someone know who you are, what you stand for, and how you feel. We don’t fully grasp just how powerful we can be when we have words on our side. But the measure of a word is something only determined by the soul. What have words done for you? Have they made you fall in love? Have they lost you your job? What we can do with words is amazing. But what we don’t do with words is even more of a spectacular mystery.

We can utilize words to express feelings. To tell someone how we really feel before the opportunity is gone. Unfortunately, human nature holds us back. We tend to keep our words as only thoughts, events played out in our heads. People can’t read minds, and yet, we stall our sentences for just the right moment. But moments are now. And these words we know, that we put together, can make the moment all it is worth before it becomes abandoned. The flow of words can be beautiful. It can give us a wonderful advantage. We can put ourselves out there with words. Risk it all with words. And sometimes, that risk is worth taking when the words you planned can express all you have ever wanted. Those words can win it for you. But if you mess up, if your words aren’t good enough, then where will you be? Is it true that words can never hurt us? I am sure we have all been affected by words in some way. The side effects of hateful words are more powerful than we can ever know.

Personally, I have turned to words to vent. To rid my mind of crowded thoughts and fluttering ideas is all I need sometimes. Words have also proven a trust for me, as well as destroyed a few. The problem with words is that when you give an arrangement of them to someone, they can do anything they want with them. And their choice of whether to keep or throw out your words can tell you what kind of person they are. People have both cared for my words as well as used them against me. We have to be careful with words. Ours and those others have entrusted us with.

We must realize that we always have words. For everything. If we get lonely, we can turn to words. If we build up so many feelings that we can’t stand it any more, words are always there. The way we arrange words can put our souls into perspective for others to understand. Words are insight. Words are commitment. Words are what we know. Without words, what do we know? Words can do whatever we want them to. The decision, the power, is in our hands. Our words are one thing we have control over. To believe in the power of words is to believe in who we are, what we stand for, and how we feel.