Brian - Bardstown, Kentucky

I believe in the power of music. Its can make us happy or sad, energetic or tired, or simply make us want to listen. Music has the power to take a hold of our attention It makes us go to record stores and buy CD’s just to hear a song or to go to concerts and wait in line just to see a performance. It is used in nearly every commercial ad or television show. When we get in our car, we listen to music; when we get on our computers, we listen to music. Music is around us everyday and can shape how we act, think, and feel.

In general, music is thought as a way to entertain. Many just want something to listen to. For me, music is the power of expression. I guess I think music shows how you felt or still feel. It can show your mood, reactions, and your thoughts just through how you perform a song. Lyrics sometimes tell a story, or sometimes leave you guessing. Lyrics can make people think about their experiences in their own life. Sometimes people have changed their entire lives from just hearing one song. Songs can seize our time even when we feel we have so little. Music has the power to bring back memories. Many remember their favorite songs and can relate them to an event. Songs remind us of our family and friends and times we won’t forget.

In my own experiences with music, I have come to believe it’s a way to express how you feel. I listen to music a lot and I have come to find out how I feel effects what I want to listen to. If I’m tired I’ll listen to something softer and less upbeat, but, if I feel excited or happy, I’ll listen to something a little bit louder. The same concept applies for writing music. Being in a band, I believe you accomplish a lot more than by yourself. When you can create music with other people it opens up new ideas you couldn’t have done alone. Maybe these ideas will be good enough to create a great song and then you can truly experience the power of music.