I Believe in Laterality

Abby - Newark, Delaware

I believe in the influence of peripheral thinking. I believe in the oblique more than the direct. How the doe picks her way through woods, compassless. How the misplaced fact won’t come until we let it go. We must relax the search. It is like calling a cat. You have to squat and face away, awkwardly, fiddle with a twig or a blade of grass, maybe hum a little tune but for God’s sake DO NOT LOOK AT THAT CAT! Then, only then, will the animal come. It will purr and wind its soft self around you.

I believe in exerting the ordinary power of the soul. For some people, certain fervors are natural. As for others, they seal themselves in the lining of perpetual doing. We must practice awareness. This is neither an active nor a passive practice; it is an unmoving alertness, isometric. It is existing in The Zone. Which means, this state possesses your entire body EVENLY. It does not concentrate itself inside your brain.

Sometimes, the human brain is the enemy. I mean conscious thought. Will. Logic. Analysis. Thinking can be a lightbulb in a darkroom. Switch it on and it overexposes all the film—every other impulse, feeling, basic knowledge, understanding, connection, is annihilated in one over-bright flash. Certain light pollutes. It spreads unchecked if you let it. Many people claim to believe what someone else tells them to. I do not understand this. How can mind alone decide belief? The path to the spirit is ancient and winding. I can only believe what my heart resolves is true.

Blinkers serve a purpose: Safety. I’m sick of Safety! Safety’s why certain children never cross the street. Safety’s why the very PTO that built it tears down a wooden Kids’ Kingdom—with ramparts, turrets, amphitheater, dungeons and slides—and hangs plastic swings instead. A mare’s eyes look out from the sides of her head for a reason. True, to see directly before or behind herself, she needs to fold her neck. But most of the time, in nature, those locations are irrelevant. What concerns her most is what’s coming at her right here, right now–and that’s how it should be.