Allison - Chicago Il, 60656

Being the youngest child in a family of five, I have had the opportunity to observe, first hand, the amount of effort and demanding labor that it takes to prosper throughout life. Having two older siblings now in college, I had the chance to watch how much hard work and dedication they put into the projects and homework throughout their high school careers. I was particularly aware of this in watching my sister toil away at homework from the time she arrived home from school, until many hours after the rest of my family and I had gone to bed. Her friend, on the other hand, did not believe that schoolwork was very important, and I would hear stories of how she would hastily complete entire projects during lunch. My sister had always received excellent grades, while her friend had gotten average grades, at best, on her report cards.

My parents always stress to my siblings and I the value of school to our futures. I have observed many people in my grade who have a mindset much like that of my sister’s friend: “School is just a waste of time”. These people do not take their schoolwork seriously, and in turn their grades reflect their effort. However, because my parents have instilled these strong beliefs and their work ethic in me and my siblings, we make school our top priority. I truly believe that only through hard work and success in school can you achieve your goals and live your life to the fullest.

No one wants to live their lives as just “one of the crowd”. Everyone strives to succeed in his or her life, and be the best that they could possibly be. However, in today’s world, people are lazy and are always looking for the easy way into a successful lifestyle. I very strongly believe that the only way to achieve your goals and dreams and truly feel that you have accomplished them yourself is through perseverance and diligence.

People do not get the same satisfaction in things that were handed to them on a “silver platter”. I feel that if you put in the time and effort to reach your goals, you will be able to sincerely take pleasure in them. I use this as the foundation of my outlook on school. I know that a proper education is necessary in the world today in order to attain a satisfying job and live a happy and complete life. I believe that because I work hard in school, I will benefit in the future from the effort that I am putting into my education today. The way that I try to motivate myself to work hard is by thinking: “if you are not going to do it for yourself right now, do it for who you will be twenty years from now.”