I Believe in an Imagination

Leon - san francisco, California

Growing up a non-reader and writer, I had to find creative ways to get things done. One of the things that I think helped me the most in my survival was my imagination. It was a place I went to when I needed refuge from the world. My imagination was a gift from the two people that I loved the most, my mother and dad. I was their only child who could not read or write at grade level in school. I believe my parents saw my that my life was going to be very difficult as a person who had problems with reading and writing, so they cultivated the one thing that they felt would give me an advantage, that was my childhood imagination.

While growing up, I was never denied exercising my imagination. If I wanted to build a clubhouse, something that they would not allow my sister or brother to do, it was okay. If I wanted to take apart one of the old working appliances in the house to see how it worked, no problem! Just about anything I wanted to do that would let me use my imagination, was okay with them.

I did not understand it at the time, but they were giving me a life tool that would prevent me from ever feeling lost or defeated. They gave me a tool that allowed me to dream the dreams. With the imagination that they gave me, I was able to accomplish a lot of things that many said I would never be able to do as a non-reader. They gave me an imagination that saw more solutions to problems, than problems. My parents gave me an imagination that saw possibilities everywhere I looked in my life.

Yes, I believe in imagination. I believe that without that imagination, I would have perished. I believe without vision, or an imagination, my life would have been flat, with no mountains on the horizon. Without my imagination, life’s challenges would not have been as fun as they were to overcome. Without my imagination, my life could have been a straight line to a circle to nowhere!

Yes, the greatest gift my parents gave me was my imagination that let me believe that I could do anything, with just a little bit of imagination!