Money Rules

Jermond - Kansas City, Missouri

I believe money has become too important in today’s society. Money influences the decisions we all make on a daily basis. Without money, one would not be able to survive. Also, wit money becoming the number one basic essential to survival, products consumed by Americans have become more expensive. I believe we as a people must do something to limit the importance of the “mighty” dollar, and find other places where we should be focusing our importance.

Many families are struggling to survive in our current economy. Stretching money throughout the month usually does not consist of family fun nights, school activities, or anything that is not necessary to survival. Everyday, these families have to decide if they are going to buy groceries. Ten years ago, these decisions did not exist, which is making surviving with a low family income much harder to deal with. Not having money puts more stress than ever on families, causing family break-ups and the need to find outside help.

Nowadays, when a person goes shopping, things seemed to be overpriced. The price of a gallon of milk is enough to throw a person off budget. Do not even go to the fresh fruit and vegetable aisle. Apples are $2.99 a lb., a five pound bag of potatoes will cost nearly five dollars, and if buying gas, I suggest you take out a loan. With the economy being in such bad shape, you would think the products would be less expensive. Instead, things are at all time highs, forcing consumers to drive past the store.

If the consumers were to take back control of the spending power, then they could take away some of the power money holds. If families could cut back on some of the material things they buy, they could limit this control. Things such as video games, clothing, and cell phone bills, are all items families waste on. The fixation people have with needing to have the latest and greatest thing is giving retailers and producers the opportunities to make products that are extremely overpriced, and the quality is not as good.

When I was younger money never had as much power as it does today. It was not the key to survival, just paper used to purchase things. There is an old saying, “money is the root of all evil”. Have we become the society of evil, money hungry creatures? Let us hope not.