Nicholas - bardstown, Kentucky

I believe that if you set your mind to something you can accomplish it. I was taught this by my parents, teachers, and elders. I play golf, and this is not a sport that you can just start playing and be good; it takes tons and tons of practice. Keeping your grades up takes dedication, as does religion. If you don’t go to church and practice your faith then you are not being a good Catholic

When I was about eight I was watching golf on TV with my dad and became interested. My dad took me to play golf with him one day and I got so frustrated that I wanted to quit after one hole. I was watching my dad hit the ball so far and so high in the air, but I could barely make the ball move forward, if I even hit it at all. My dad told me to stick with it and everything would work out. He said he had been playing golf for many years and it took tons of practice. I listened to him and began to practice. I started with the basics and my dad helped me all the way. Because of him, I got the basics down pretty quickly. Then I worked by myself; it was up to me to get better everyday and improve my game. The more I wanted to get better, the better I would get. That is why I love golf so much.

This year I had a decent golfing year. I won four tournaments, one of which was the All A Region which allowed me and advance to state. This was a huge accomplishment for me, and I wouldn’t have been able to do it with out the encouragement of my dad. He told me to set my mind on playing golf if I really wanted to, I did, and it has turned out great for me.

School is my mom’s area, and she is big on grades. She tells me all the time that if I want to go to a good college I need to put my mind to it. This means I must keep all my grades up, do well on the ACT, have extra curricular activities, and most of all practice golfing because I might get a scholarship. I have put my mind to that, and it is really paying off. I am receiving letters from colleges interested in me and I am only a junior. I have to thank my parents for supporting what I do and them pushing me to do it. They always push me to do my homework, study for tests, and turn things in on time. That is all they can do though; it is up to me to make an effort to do the work, study, and turn in my work. Without my parents support I may not have such good grades or the work ethic to get the grades. When I go off to college I will be prepared to do the school part on my own.

My teachers have told me to put my mind to my religion. I have gone to a Catholic school for twelve years and I am glad I was enrolled when I was little. While there my teachers pushed me towards God. I would have more than likely gone to God anyway but, with the constructive help of my teachers, I understand a lot more. When they tell you to pray they are telling you to put your mind on God. I put my mind on God at times other when told; this is because of teachers pushing me and I am thankful for that.

Golf, school, and religion have made me the person I am, and I am thankful for everyone who has pushed me. I now know that I can accomplish anything I want if I put my mind to it.