Savannah - Bardstown, Kentucky

I believe in our troops, and one in particular, Captain Brad Henry. I met him almost two years ago, when my sister brought him home to meet the family. Now they are engaged, and I have come to love him as an older brother. Yet there is something specific about him that makes him my hero. He is currently serving his third tour in Iraq, and even though my family and I are extremely proud of his bravery, we miss him very much every day.

Since he has gone, my sister and I try to avoid watching the news, because there inevitably will be something pertaining to the war. However, for the families who have been untouched by the war, in regards to their loved ones, it is still impossible to feel anything but heartbreak when hearing something involving the war. Yet, after that particular portion of the news has ended, most people will return to their daily lives. For those who are directly connected to the men and women serving there, the heartache continues until they come home.

Before Brad left he spent months upon months training his group of approximately one-hundred men for war at Fort Campbell. My sister told me that in training they create replica Iraqi towns and Brad taught them how to react in real-life situations. Before this I had never pictured Brad in this sort of “war mode” or even as a disciplinary figure; after all this is the person that talks to me about my boy problems and makes jokes about everything. Yet when I think about the things he is exposed to at war, it leaves me worried and wondering every day.

Brad left us in October 2007 and will not come home until April 2009. Since he will be there for so long, the one thing he constantly asks for are letters. Letters that may seem everyday things to us, but can give him some sense of normalcy and home which he has long been deprived of. We can help ease our soldiers’ homesickness with just a friendly letter or a care package from someone back home. I tell you this because I believe that we can all help our troops no matter what situation we are in. Whether we are divided in the decision to like or dislike President George Bush, or to support the war in Iraq, I think we can stand together and say that we all believe in our troops.