Alexandria - Bardstown, Kentucky

Within yourself

I believe in the power within one’s self. I believe in that sole power hidden deep inside us all to overcome the impossible and attain the unreachable. That power which drives every living being to achieve a higher purpose. I choose to believe in this power, because I wish to find this power in me.

I live by words of the unknown that tell me that “I may be changed by what happens to me, but I refuse to be reduced by it.” That phrase causes me to look deep within myself to find the strength to rise above my insecurities and harmful slews of words. Not only do I want to find that strength, I need it. With that strength I can succeed in everything I do without worrying what others may think or say.

For in this world there are so many negative things that can bring anyone, not just a young girl, down. Those people, experiences, and memories have the ability to drag a person so far into the abyss that, without the power within them, they may never conquer those demons and be free. The power we have inside us is so great that we can’t even begin to fathom it. This power is the solitary defense against our own darkness that also dwells within us.

Not only can the power assist us in conquering our internal evils, it can help us defend ourselves against external evils as well. We need this power to give us a reason to go on when the world seems like it’s falling down on us. We need this power to keep us in school when our peers pick at and make fun of us. We need this power to keep us from sliding that knife on the table across our wrists when we feel worthless and see no point to even waking up in the morning.

I believe in the power within one’s self to keep us alive, to keep us going with a positive outlook when the world keeps throwing negativity our way. I believe in this power inside us because I want to believe that no matter what happens I have the power to choose. I have the power to fight back. I have the power to overcome. I have my own power. And so do you.