T.J. - Shepherdsville, Kentucky

The one thing that I look for to complete every day is a laugh. Not a little chuckle or snicker, but a full-blown laugh that makes your eyes water and your stomach hurt. No matter who you are or what kind of day you’ve had, a laugh is always a good thing to give your day a boost. I believe in the power that laughter contains.

Laughing is a major part of society. New comedy movies come out every week. Comedy TV shows are some of the top-rated shows on their networks. I receive at least ten e-mails a week titled “Really Funny-Must Read!” Comedy and laughter are loved so much because it makes people happy. So happy in fact, that these happy people know they can make others happy by repeating the joke they heard on TV or read in an e-mail. Laughter spreads faster than wildfires.

One of the most recent e-mails I received, entitled “The Purina Diet,” kept me laughing for hours. A woman was standing in line at the supermarket holding a large bag of dog food. An older woman behind her asked her if she had a dog. She said “No, I’m starting The Purina Diet again, although I probably shouldn’t. I lost 50 pounds last time, but ended up in the hospital. I awoke in an intensive care ward with tubes and IVs in both arms.” She told the woman that it was essentially a perfect diet and the way it worked was to load your pockets with Purina nuggets and simply eat one every time you felt hungry. Horrified, the woman asked if she ended up in intensive care because the dog food poisoned her. She told her “No, I was in the street licking myself and a car hit me.”

Laughter brings people together. Whenever one of my friends or I tell a joke in school, most everyone in the room flocks toward us, wanting to hear the joke too. Another example is my family sitting quietly watching a television show until a funny commercial comes on, sending us into an explosion of laughter and jabbering. It never ceases to amaze me how a laugh warms a room and gives everyone a happy moment to remember and repeat for those unlucky enough not to witness it.

Whether it is a knock-knock joke, a klutzy moment, or a silly prank, everyone laughs at something each day. These laughs are the one thing that everyone in the world has in common. We may all be a different race, have a different religion, or prefer a different flavor of ice cream, but we all laugh. Sometimes laughing can be the only thing that can help us get through the miserable mire of the average day. So the next time you are in a quiet room and that urge to giggle starts to climb up your throat, don’t try to force it down, let it explode into the open for everyone to hear!