Laura - Bardstown, Kentucky

The Power of Friendship

A few weeks ago I received a phone call. I picked up my cell phone and nonchalantly said, “Hello” as I do each time. On the other end of the line a quivering voice said, “Rose?” The way that she uttered my name, I immediately knew that something was wrong. She proceeded to devastate me by telling me that one of our mutual friends had died. It suddenly became vitally important for me to find out all the details about her death; perhaps I thought that by her being able to tell me how she passed away, it would prove that this was not a nightmare or some cruel practical joke. Then she announced those three words about her death that changed my life. After hearing those words, I dropped the phone and burst into tears. Those three words that she uttered were, “she hung herself.”

I believe that the power of friendship can save a life. If I could turn back time, I would have made an effort to talk to Britney more often. Perhaps if I had just called her to make sure that everything was ok, she would still be here with us today. But the time for that has passed and unfortunately there is nothing I can do about that. All I can do is focus on today and live my life to the fullest for me and for Britney.

I learned from this experience all the pain her actions have caused everyone that surrounded her. If, God forbid, I become so depressed that I feel that there is no hope for me, I will just think of all the people I would have hurt the same way Britney hurt me if she and I share the same fate. Finally, I vow to keep in touch with those people who I have possibly excluded from my life. I may have unknowingly rejected them for various reasons. They could be hard to keep in touch with, for instance, a long distance relationship. Maybe they are irritating at times which provokes me to leave them out, but in my heart of hearts, I know I can’t live without them. Even if this exclusion is partly, or even mostly, their fault I still need to keep in touch with them so what happened before doesn’t occur again. If I can accomplish all this, I believe I will be a happier person, and perhaps save a life.