Rob - Northville, Michigan

I believe in the power of a hand written note. In the age of computers, where everything seems so distant and cold, a hand written letter on lined paper can be so warm. I am part of a generation stuck in the middle of two worlds. The old world and the new, the textbook and the Ebook.

When I was in middle school my friends and I passed hand written notes to each other during class. I had an e-mail address, but no one else really knew how to use the Internet. When I graduated Middle school and started going to High school, e-mail was all the rage. The simple pleasure of a note written on the back of old homework or scrap paper was gone and replaced by an inbox full of SPAM e-mail and Myspace comments. The drawings in the margins and coffee stains on the pages that let you know someone took their time, where a thing of the past. I feel like those little special details cannot be conveyed on the pristine white electron pages of the Internet.

I believe that some peoples handwriting is beautiful. The elegant free form cursive words of a hand at it’s best is a pleasure to read. The online world is the great level playing field. No one has a hard time reading “Times New Roman” font. I will admit right now that have some of the worst handwriting. Too others it is very difficult to read, but to me it is the greatest calligraphy. Everyone writes in their own style. Just like a fingerprint is unique to each person, no two people draw a tree the same way. This is also true for the way someone will sign their name.

In a time where we rely more and more on electronic forms of communication, I can’t help but to wonder what we would do if suddenly it all went away. My children may one day find themselves asking me ‘What did you do before text messaging?’ That day I will get out my old shoe box from the closet and show them all the notes I have kept through the years.