Chris - Iowa City, Iowa

Power is a Wonderful Thing

Imagine a nine year old playing basketball. This nine year old shoots the ball misses and then runs back to go get it, the coach calls a time-out and the kid scrambles to the bench. When he takes a seat on the bench the coach makes note of his obvious frustration and tells him “its okay, you will do better next time.” The child than goes out with a new glow to his face and puts a regenerated energy to his game.

Isn’t it amazing how the power of words can have so much meaning to a simple individual? Dose it not make sense that when another human being is in need we comfort them with the supremacy of our words weather it comes to them from an emotional, comical, or encouraging standpoint?

When there is any type of crisis happening in any field, may it be a cat stuck up in a tree to a tsunami sweeping away half of a country the best thing you can do is consult the problem with the influential power or your words. Words can send such a powerful message that it has the ability to make anyone’s day or crush it for that matter, and this is what I believe.

I know of people that use their words in an evil power in order to put down or be infuriating to an unstable person, this is an example of how words can be used in a powerful but sad way. I see these people not in the way they want to be seen but instead in a sad, disappointing manner because I realize that they are not going very far with what they are doing. They feel good about themselves for making others feel bad for there five minutes in the spotlight and then they so casually make their way to their next victim as they leave there previous one daunting in a shell of unhappiness and sorrow, but what they don’t realize is that one day the victim that they are trying to abuse will not take it. They will not break down which would give no satisfaction to the verbal abuser and he will not know what to do because the fixation that he has relied on so much will fail.

The true power is when someone uses their words to bring you up and give you satisfaction which helps you motivate yourself to move forward. The people that do that are not only remembered but are praised and made known of in a much different way than using their controlling words to insult and provoke one another. When I see someone helping another maybe weaker or even stronger individual than themselves I know that that is the kind of person that is able and willing to make a difference in the world.