Hannah - Columbiana, Alabama

I believe in the power of laughter. It has the power to cure all your of problems. When you are having a bad day, true laughter—that is deep and loud—can turn a bad day into a good one. I love to be around people who make me laugh, and I love to make people laugh. Laughing uncontrollably clears the mind—clears it of all the worries and stresses of the day. It has the ability to make you forget anything but what you’re laughing about, and it just makes you feel good inside when you laugh.

One of the worst days of my high school career was turned into one of the best days ever after one small yet hilarious mishap. There must have been some slippery substance on the lunchroom floor because during lunch three people slipped and fell. Luckily, my group of friends and I were sitting right next to the slippery substance. We were just minding our own business and enjoying our peaceful lunch when suddenly this totally random and extremely awkward girl comes out of nowhere and ends up on the ground. When she fell, she slid on her knees for about five feet, coming to a screeching halt right by our lunch table. However, her tray full of food stayed intact, and only one noodle of pasta salad fell on the ground. When this happened, we all stared at her with shocked looks on our faces and then tried desperately to hold in the laughter—for her sake.

However, as soon as she left the lunchroom, we burst into hysteric laughter. We couldn’t control ourselves. Now whether you find this funny or not, it was to us. We laughed for the remainder of the lunch period and continued on for ten minutes after lunch was over. When we were laughing, the whole lunchroom turned and stared, wondering what in the world we were laughing at. Secretly, they were just jealous because when we laugh, we laugh—loud and obnoxiously, and there is nothing holding us back. As soon as that hilarious moment happened, it made me forget all that was wrong about the day, and it gave me something positive to focus on. Laughing that long about something that silly made my day ten times better, and it ended up being one of my favorite memories of my high school experience so far.