Ashley - North Bend, Washington

There are many things that I think about, but lately I have been thinking a lot about child abuse. I don’t know why this concept has been on my mind. I guess it is because I have extended family experiences with this but over the summer, I was slowly forgetting and not even thinking bout child abuse, but that didn’t last long because……

Several days ago, I was listening to the radio, when the song “The eleventh commandment” by Collin Raye came on. The lyrics of this song tell of the terrible consequences that come from child abuse. The lyrics say “did god overlook it, what ought to have been written, the eleventh commandment, honor thy children.

There are many forms of child abuse, both physical, and emotional, which can be dangerous to the child, and have lasting effects on there lives. Physical effects include injury, death, long time health problems, or disabilities. Emotional effects include low self esteem, depression, anxiety, eating disorders and troubles with relationships these are some of the reasons for my belief in child abuse.

My cousin Faith was adopted when she was four, by my aunt and uncle, who were her foster parents. Faith was born to a mother addicted to heroin. She was taken from her mother as a newborn, due to her mother’s use of drugs during pregnancy, faith was addicted as well. Faith is know 18 years old and has an education of a 1st grader. She will never know the joys the come from living a normal life.

“ Thou shalt not kill, thou shalt not steal, thou shalt not take the lords name in vain, thou shalt not cause thy children pain, does god overlook it what ought have been written the eleventh commandment, honor thy children.” Looking back at this wonderful quote I couldn’t help but to think about how much my family loves, comforts and respect me. I can’t began to understand how a family could abuse and mistreat there own innocent children in such a way. Last night my mom was telling me of a time when she went with our youth group to a shelter. She told me that they had brought clothes and did crafts with the abused children. My mom also told me that as they did crafts with the children it was sad to see 5 years old with black eyes and busted lips. As she told me that story I realized that I wanted to be a person to help make a difference, I can start by doing little things such as bringing clothes to children and by doing crafts with them. We all can make a difference.