Maleah - N. Bend, Washington

Everyone has things that they believe in. It’s just that I believe in not putting plastic silverware in dishwashers. Or anything else along the line of plastic dishes. For three main reasons why.

Reason number one is that the plastic can melt. It can melt from two things the dishwasher uses to clean the dishes and silverware. One reason why it can melt is from the hot water the dishwasher uses to clean gum stuck foods off of dishes and silverware. The other reason why it can melt is from the steam that rises up from the dishwasher when you open up the dishwasher door. Then when you try to put the dishes away you have to wait awhile because the dishes are too hot to touch.

Second reason is that it can affect your dishwasher. It can affect your dishwasher by the melted plastic getting stuck where you don’t want it to get stuck in. For an example, my mom put a plastic fork in the dishwasher and when the cycle was done I took the fork out and looked at it. It’s tips of the fork was curled and some what melted already.

My third and final reason is that getting your dishwasher replaced or repaired would cost you a lot of money. Another example is that my mom’s dishwasher had a problem with it and she had to get it repaired and probably pay a lot to get the repair guy out to repair her dishwasher. It would’ve cost a lot the other way too. If she wanted a new dishwasher because then she would have to take the other one out and replace that one with the new one. Which would probably be a hassle to do since she does have to work and all. So, either way it’s going to cost you something; unless you know how to fix house hold appliances then it wouldn’t cost you anything really.

Anyway my conclusion is that those three reasons are why you don’t put plastic silverware or plastic anything in dishwashers. Unless they say they’re dishwasher safe, but other than that do not do it. Except for Tupper ware that you can of course wash. If you want to clean plastic silverware or anything plastic along the line of dishes it’s safer to wash it by hand. So, if you agree with me great, but it’s also okay not to agree with me.