Kelsey - West Hartford, Connecticut

I believe that you need friends and family to have a satisfying existence on this earth. Although some people are disconnected from their families, they still have friends. Some people are different: they have their family, but no friends. I believe you need both to enjoy your life. In this world, there are people who say they’re independent. I don’t buy that for a second. Friends and family make life worth while.

Out of everyone in my family, there is one I look up to the most: My dad. He’s gone through so much in his life; he’s had surgery on his right foot more than ten times! My dad had MRSA a few years ago and a wound recently opened in his foot. Because of MRSA, that gash was bigger than nine golf balls! Two years ago, he was in the hospital for two and a half weeks. It was so terrible that we were already thinking about amputation, but my dad pulled through, and he’ll be walking soon enough. While he was in the hospital, we would text each other and he would try so hard to help me with my schoolwork and all the drama going on with my friends. Even though I live with my mom, my dad will always be there for me.

My friends have made a huge impact on my life; one of them is Eliza Pinette. Eliza is a sister to me. We’ve been friends since kindergarten and we’ve been through so much together. She changed my life by involving me in the Jewish religion. She began taking me to synagogue with her just a few times a month. Then, my visits became more frequent and she started teaching me Hebrew. I now can say many prayers and the alphabet! I told her I wanted to convert to Judaism and I got an unexpected reaction, “Can I be one of your witnesses?” She asked. I thought she was going to say, “You’re overreacting.” She is one of my only friends that really understands me, and isn’t judgmental about my ideas and beliefs. She is a true friend, and she will always be my sister.

Another person that impacted my life is my friend Alyssa Milne. When we’re going through a bad time, we help each other. Towards the beginning of the school year, I was having a really rough time. My grades were slipping, I wasn’t doing well in cheerleading, and my parents had just divorced. Alyssa was there to talk to me and talk me out of a very serious and stupid decision. If you have a problem with a friend, you most likely won’t tell them until they find it out from someone else…that’s not the best way to go. With Alyssa, I can always confront her about anything and everything.

Having friends and family like this makes life worth living. I believe that in order for some of your closest family and friends to survive, so do you.