Brandon - Burien, Washington

This I believe: problems in life can change things for the better. For example, I have a flaw which most people believed would make it difficult for me to pursue my passion -acting- but I just use it to add to my character when on stage. My imperfection is a rather small speech impediment that causes me to under-pronounce, mispronounce, or simply just not articulate at all, the letter “R” and that helped me to improve a small amount. From about fifth to seventh grade I had a speech counselor; however my impediment never actually started to improve until my sophomore year of high school, the year that I started taking drama classes. What you need to understand is that articulation and vocalization are two very important parts of theater, and just so you get an idea of how I have improved; I was one of the main characters in a play we did after school, Shakespeare’s Merry Wives of Windsor.

My teacher for this course is a stubborn man who refuses to give up on people. Immediately when the first class began, I came to realize exactly how hard I would have to work to pass this class. We started with simple warm-ups and vocal exercises, but as time progressed they started to get harder. As I had a speech impediment to contend with, I was forced to toil twice as hard as everyone else. After taking both the beginning and intermediate courses my impediment dimmed without my noticing, though for those who listen it is still clearly there. I have accepted it as a part of my personality.

As of right now who cares? I may never speak Spanish fluently because I can’t roll my “R’s”, but I am learning French after all. I always try to look on the bright side of things, especially with improving my speech. The good about this improvement is that if one combines my seemingly-British accent, my glasses, and the way I usually style my hair, the addition of a lightning bolt shaped scar on my forehead makes me resemble, according to many people, a much less scrawny Harry Potter.

This is my story of how just going about what I do normally has coincidentally resulted in an improvement in. At the time all of this started, I had already accepted that I would always have the impediment. Nevertheless doing what I had an interest in actually resulted its slight improvement in my articulation and as of now I have a lot of friends who are interested in the same things I am that don’t even realize that I have a speech impediment. Also, like I said earlier even with my speech problem I managed to be one of the four stars in the Marry Wives of Windsor.