Ryan - Burien, Washington
Themes: respect

Respect for people is important because without it we would not be where we are today as a society, our founding fathers wanted a nice nation, not a crazy one. If people disrespect each other, back when our country was formed there could have been chaos. Tension would have been brewing so high I’m sure they would have been frustrated to the point of giving up. The Declaration of Independence, how would that of resulted if the founding fathers hadn’t respected each other in that hot and humid room, debating the birth of our country? I believe in respect because it is important to the sanity of our nation. It is not too difficult, in my opinion, to think before you speak and spare someone the rage or sadness you might cause.

I learned about respect when I was younger, around the age of seven. I didn’t realize at the time, but I was being taught in subtle ways to be respectful and not your average evil child. My mom, my sister and I were living with a Rastafarian reggae band, the lead singer whom my mother was dating and in love with. As my mom’s child, it became partly his responsibility to raise me. He did things like teach me not to interrupt and not to be rude. His subliminal teachings molded me into the person I am today.

I believe in respect because it is important to the sanity of our nation (would you want a disrespectful president?), not that I’m any type of high political power but I can still write about how I feel. Little cases of respect are just as important, if not to the grand scale of the country but to the average man’s feelings and state of mind. So be kind to your neighbor, turn down that 2,000$ stereo.