Chelsey - Burien, Washington

I believe in Pancakes

It’s amazing how something as simple as pancakes can fix a friendship, even if just for a Saturday morning. If cartoons don’t do the trick, you can always count on chocolate chips and scary movies.

Star is my best friend and Saturday mornings are always our time. Rumbling tummies are the worst, and one morning the only thing we could find was pancake mix. Star doesn’t like pancakes, but we decided that making them would be a lot more fun than actually eating them. It was true. There was pancake mix everywhere from out several batter fights. It was as though our hair had suddenly grown chocolate chips and we bled pancake batter. We stared at each other, both looking as though we could be cooked up now and served, and burst into laughter.

After cleaning up our battlefield and taking a shower, we plopped down on the couch to watch a movie, a scary one that seemed like it was going to ruin our good mood from our previous batter fight. It was Cabin Fever. As we sat there with the blankets getting ready to cover our faces, throats sore from screaming, suddenly a little blonde boy appeared in the scene and for no particular reason started screaming, “PANCAKES!” We laughed and laughed until we were both in tears.

See, things aren’t always sunshine and butterflies with us. We have battles; though not usually pancake batter battles. But when things get bad between us, all we have to do is say, or even think, pancakes. And it’s like nothing bad ever happened. We always return to that Saturday morning, even if it’s just in our heads, and remember how much fun we had. How we had to wash our clothes three times to get the batter out. How we had to scrub for hours to get the kitchen clean. How we cried from laughing so hard at the boy in the movie. And I swear, it brings a smile to our faces every time. I believe pancakes make everything better.