Regina - Prospect, Connecticut

DON’T GRIEVE, BUT BELIEVE

I BELIEVE…

…that violence toward any country for any reason produces more violence and foreseeable bloodshed. Violence, confrontation and warfare are, by definition, antagonistic. Living things are likely to react in kind to any form of hostility. This I believe.

It is therefore clear to this thinking person that aggression cannot be effective in subduing ideology’s that are not my own. I believe that when authorities and peons alike attempt to force people or nations from practicing their ideals and philosophies, they are deluding themselves and moving those who support them toward more hate.

I believe this is true because I see harmony where I work and where I live. I see it near my home, in its forest setting, as I peacefully gaze out my windows at daybreak and watch the squirrels and the birds do their morning chores. Sometimes I even envision them laughing with joy. I see people smiling with peace when they feel love in their hearts. My grandchildren tear away my sorrows just by their presence. My neighbors frequently wave hello. The people in my community exchange pleasantries when we meet at the grocery. It is my belief that as living things figure out how to love others, they prosper and proliferate.

Aggression cannot subdue aggression. Militaristic mentalities are potentially deceitful and very fragile. Effective militaries are inexhaustible and strong. They do not react spontaneously to threats. They are stoic in their conviction that carefully planned attacks on hostile uprisings, NOT cultures, nations or religious communities, are the only way

they will defeat the enemy.

Peace begets Peace. There is no other way to promote it. This I believe.

The events of September 11, 2001 were indeed horrific and very sad for all Americans. Warring groups of psychotic insurgents were culpable, by their own leaders’ admission. It was unjustifiable to enter into an aggression with a country and its people. Promoting wealth and greed under the guise of protecting Americans is deceitful. Forcing democracy on a foreign country is equally psychotic. Of this, I deeply believe.

I believe that we now must carefully consider our future as a country and as a planet. Thankfully, all over the world there are dynamic citizens who have been actively pursuing the health of this civilization for many generations.

As I grow old, I want to feel less entangled with the grief of other nations as well as for those in our own country who have felt the pain of neglect.

Of this, I believe.