Sadie - Fort Thomas, Kentucky

I Believe

I believe in individuality. We, as citizens of the United States, have the rights to free speech and can make our own personal choices. Crazy clothes, outbursts of song and dance, and the ability to let my freak flag fly, keeps me alive. Individuality holds the key to our world. Without it we wouldn’t need different governments, religions, or a hundred different flavors of ice creams.

Knowing that I can wake up each morning and decide what I want to wear, smell like, and eat for breakfast is the first part in my love for being an individual. Coming to school and hearing all the different stories and seeing reactions among friends to those stories. There’s talk of guitar hero and who New York choose in her finale episode. We all have the right to watch and choose our favorites, and to be able to discuss our views is astounding to me.

I never want to be anyone else. I would never desire to copy another person. Of course, we are all influenced by different aspects, whether it be our environment, city, or group of friends. But, initially, the choices and thoughts we make are our own. I don’t understand the people who change the way they are just to suit a certain person or people or those who tease the individuals because they’re so different. As for the people who do these things, they will never truly discover who they really are.

I am a sister. I am a believer. I’m a dreamer. I am a leader. I am a lover. I am an old soul. I live each day as my last. I sleep with a stuffed bunny. I don’t care what anyone thinks of me. I rather cut off my leg then admit that I’m wrong. I try to make the sad, happy. I believe laughing can cure anything. I am gullible. I am scared of heights. I am a young woman who will make a difference in this world.

To be an individual is to create difference. To pick your own music, god, beliefs, and flavor of ice cream. I believe that individuality is the basis for all life, government, and society.