God is Here

Carol - Westerville, Ohio

Standing on the path gazing up through the tall lush trees to a patch of blue sky, I closed my eyes and breathed in the sweet scent of the countryside.

Feeling the soft earth beneath my feet I strolled across the leaf-strewn path, aware of how each tree was unique in its beauty. Even the naked black trees that had fallen and no longer produced life added to the graceful splendor of the forest.

The air was still. Deep into the woods, the quietness embraced me and I willingly absorbed it.

Having become accustom to the blasting and blaring of our world and learning to tolerate it, being alone in the quiet woods made me realize what a chaotic society we live in. Alone in the stillness was refreshing, relaxing, and fulfilling.

“Try to experience God,” the retreat leader told us. “In your own way.” Then she sent us off in different directions.

I decided to take a path through the woods. Alone in the quiet, breathing in the clean dampness of the earth, I wondered if I would recognize the Creator if we were to meet on the path. What would God say? What would I say?

Should I ask about the topic of sisterhood we were examining the weekend? Should I ask about being connected to one another and experiencing compassion with my Faith sisters?

Studying the trees, each different, but beautiful, I thought of the other women seeking spiritual recovery at the retreat. They were all one-of-a-kind, special and spiritually beautiful; the kind of beauty that begins within and seeps out for all the world to witness.

Looking high above to the tops of the trees, I felt very insignificant and small. The trees seemed to scrape the sky. I was only one spec in the endless forest. And yet, God knew me and loved me and every one of my sisters who would later gather and share their experiences in finding God.

God breathed on the trees and the leaves whispered softly. God was on the path with me, sending me a gift of peace. I answered with a soft prayer of thanksgiving.

The sense of peace washed down over me. I was swallowed up by the surrounding beauty. No one could ever create such beauty or peace other than our Creator.

Observing the forest encircling me, I realized all the lovely single trees together created one beautiful forest. I considered the many women gathered to shape the beautiful sisterhood I was experiencing.

God creates so much beauty for us to enjoy in nature and in people. God created all my sisters in the Faith; all different with different talents, but One in the Spirit.

Looking through the forest of tall lush trees placed by God, I felt welcomed by the beauty and knew God is here. Alone in the midst of the forest, beneath the patches of blue sky, God is here.