Max - San Clemente, California

I am a college student who believes in the power of writing; whether my writing is creative, informative, persuasive, or simply a novel. Writing is a challenge for my mind to debate ideas and to find a median between relaxation and self conflict, which until written on paper I never knew existed. Simply put, the power of writing is undetermined for a single person. It’s as powerful as speech; it can sway opinions and influence others. The power of writing is strong and while many may say “sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me”. It is an old saying that is hardly true in any case. I feel that writing is the most powerful form of gesture that can be shared with the world, a link of intertwined ideas for everyone to read.

I hadn’t realized the power of writing until I finished reading my first novel at a young age. Oh, how I long to feel as I did then, when my fingers peeled away at the very last page of the novel as my eyes gazed into the black print. From then on I started to see the power of such novels. Writing began to open my mind to places that otherwise may have been unseen by any person. Writing was a journey through a battlefield or an adventure to a foreign land where little was known about the people or culture, it was pure imagination that could easily seem so real.

A few years later writing became a form of debate, a way for me to express my ideas and funnel information to a broad range of people who may care to read. My writing became a way to express the ideas of democracy and freedom. I had become a voice for those who I felt had none.

Writing is a way to channel thought into the minds of readers and make them think, and then again rethink what they may have already believed. Writing is a battle between two parties fighting between differences. Often I find myself battling between my own thoughts when I write. Through my own writing about environmental impacts I have convinced myself and swayed my own opinions about the dangers our planet faces for future generations and species. I am confident in the stands I have taken in my writings and writing leaves me more assured about my stands on public issues.

I believe writing is as powerful tool as I make it to be. My writing I find to be a channel of deep thought and idea; to hopefully grasp someone by the heart and mind, possibly to sway opinion and encourage those readers to think outside of their own mind. It is a way to convince a reader to rethink reality, or retell a tale. Writing is what I make it to be, an adventure or debate, no matter what I chose to write about it is clear to me that a reader will chose to accept or deny the message, and then has the chance to debate my opinion by any means.