Paul - Tucson, Arizona

Undefeatable Words.

As I have gone about doing my day to day life’s duties, I have recentely discovered certian “undefeatalbe” words. These words mulitiply and become more powerfull as I grow older. They can have happy meanings, sad meanings, powerfull and emotional meanings. Lawyers, doctors and presidents all have their own set of undefeatable words and some have spent their entire careers trying to conquer them. There are certian words that just will not budge their meaning so I just use another path to trick them into submission.

When I was a kid, undefeatable words for me were shy, aqward, fat. For my close friend it was nerd, geek, zitz. When you are called by those names your mind immediately puts up a mirror of how you think you look to others and by seeing your reflection you agree. I tricked those words into submission by using “stage” or “phase”.

With age and wisdom I was able to defeat those words but as I get older this is becoming harder to do. The first undefeatable word that comes to my older mind is death. How do you deal with the word death? I defeat it by using “loss” or “passing” More happier words that come to mind are baby, sunshine, cured. The era of political correctness was created to soley defeat previous undefeatable words such as housewife or stewardess.

Recently, I discovered a newely revived word and I wondered why the old word was not being used. The old word was defeatable but this new one is tough. This word is growing and growing, building it’s own defences, striking it’s own letters in the history books. The word is insurgent. Where did this word come from? Is it hiding in political correctness? The old defeatable word was gorilla. I could easilly defeate the word gorilla in my mind beacuse it comes down to a single item. Insurgent is tough to trick because I can’t see where insurgent lays hiding in my mind. I can see gorilla, I have seen gorilla my whole life. Maybe insurgent is undefeatable but I have hope. The great forces of this country are taming this undefeatable word, chasing it out of hiding wherever it is, chasing it out of the history books followed by thier own great words.

Next time you read the word insurgent, replace it with gorilla and see where the word takes you.