Emily - Bardstown, Kentucky

I believe in gathering eggs. The small, simple act of walking to the chicken pen and collecting the freshly laid eggs is an exciting thing to me. From the age of five, I have had the responsibility of caring for my pet chickens. I love my chickens and love caring for them. My favorite thing to do though is gather their eggs. It is exciting to go out every afternoon and find a new egg from all the hens. The job can also be challenging when some of the layers do not feel like giving up their prized possessions. The way the chicken acts when you are collecting her egg shows her personality, if it is even possible for a chicken to have one.

The aggressive hen is the one who guards and protects her egg from you. She might resort to pecking you, which can really hurt sometimes. If she does not peck you, there is the possibility of being squawked at. That surprisingly can be just as frightening if you are not used to it.

The carefree hen is the one who does her business, pops out the egg and clucks while walking away. She sees the egg as being part of her daily routine and not as something to hold on to.

I think that the carefree hen could be considered an optimist because she knows there is more to her short little life than the egg she just laid. I think that the aggressive hen could be considered a pessimist because she thinks that you are taking her most coveted item from her and that she has nothing left to care for.

Without freshly gathered eggs, we would not be able to enjoy omelets, brownies or deviled eggs. Without the hard work from the chickens and the easier work from the gatherers we would not be able to enjoy egg salad, cake or almost any food for that matter. I currently do not have any hens that are capable of laying. I hope to have some soon to continue the daily ritual of gathering their eggs. Thanks to my chickens and the time I have spent taking care of them, I have become a more responsible and loving person through out my own daily routines.